The first settlers arrived from Pontiac, Michigan, through
South street formed the south line, thirteenth the north line,
and founder of the Michigan Colony)
Bowen Avenue - named after Adna H. Bowen, a first settler,
founder of the Michigan Colony, newspaper editor,
and superintendent of schools
Adams Avenue - named after the second President John
Adams (1797-1801) and it was also the county name
Juniata Avenue - named after the community and a
Blue River Avenue - named after the river which runs
through Adams County
Platte Avenue - named after the river which runs through
the central part of Nebraska
Republican Avenue - named after the river which runs
through the southern part of Nebraska
In the days before cars, distances were great, transportation slow, and the farmers needed communities near-by to transact business, buy supplies, do their banking and be a part of a social center. It took about 2 hours to travel 5 miles, do your business, and travel home. The businesses grew because people would spend the day to buy their groceries for the next 6 months to a year.
Because the town needed businesses, settlement in Juniata was rapid. The first election was held in December, 1871. 29 eligible voters cast 28 votes for Juniata as a county seat. So Juniata became the FIRSTcounty seat.
The very next day, it was ordered that a county courthouse
be built.Samuel Stuhl received $30.00 to build the building.
It was 20 feet long, 16 feet wide and 8 feet to the ceiling
made of pine. It was finished in 10 days. The materials were
paid for by the county. The unpaid balance drew 10 per cent
interest until it was paid. The courthouse was built on
Juniata Avenue and Tenth Street. There is a stone marker
located at the site. It says that the building stood here
from 1871 to 1878.
Learn more about:
Thanks to the Adams County Historical Society for letting us borrow these excellent pictures
of Juniata's beginning. If you would like to learn more about Adams County, visit their web site at http://www.rootsweb.com/~neadams